How We Can Help
Many conventional methods of assessing project management skills tend to focus on tools and techniques and overlook the “art” that is so crucial to project success. Our proprietary Project Manager Assessment System TM (PMAS) is a holistic, tailored approach to assessing project management skills aimed at providing you with the right project manager to achieve project success.
The PMAS uses a multi-methods approach to assess project managers not only in terms of their knowledge and skills but also on their ability to apply these effectively to the different types of project management, including the management of major organizational transformations. This holistic tool can be customized to the needs of individual organizations, and uses a range of quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methods. It can be used to provide not only individual level results but an overall assessment of project management skills along with recommendations and a proposed action plan for the enhancement of the project management function for more effective transformation management.
If you need to assess the Project Management skills you have in house – or you are in need of a Project Manager to get the job done right, we can help. Our highly qualified, specialised consultants work closely with you to understand your business environment and develop an assessment program that is tailored to your needs. Through PMAS, we will add real value to your organization through individual assessments, summary evaluations, and overall findings reports.
Questions to Ask
- As a business executive, manager or human resource specialist, how do you ensure that your organization has the right mix of art and science skills to deliver successful projects?
- What is our project success track record? Do we generally meet all the objectives set out by our projects or do we need to improve?
- Is our focus on not only the “science” of project management but also the “art”? Do we need to consider skills such as political acumen, business acumen, people acumen, and leadership with more intensity?
- Do we have the necessary Project Management skills in place that can not only manage the “technical” aspects of project management, but also the “art” elements – to ensure that the project is successful in achieving and maintaining the desired business outcomes and results.
Thoughts to Consider
- A recent study suggested that almost half of all organizational projects fail to meet requirements, exceed their budgets or are not completed on time.
- A global survey of business executives found organizational culture and employee resistance to be among the main barriers to the successful implementation of organizational change initiatives; while the factors most often associated with successful projects included strong leadership and good communication.
- The specific mix of art and science skills required by an organization or project manager will be determined by a range of factors such as the relative size or complexity of the projects, the range of stakeholders involved and their ability to influence the project outcomes.
- The assessment of project management art skills, which are often learned and demonstrated through real-life project management experience rather than formal qualifications, requires the use of more qualitative methods such as in-depth interviewing, detailed review of resumes or performance reports or a 360-degree assessment process.
If your organization employs project managers, the PMAS will have a significant positive impact on the achievement of your business goals. Benefits you can expect include:
- Reduced risk – you’ll be able to implement projects with confidence
- Cost effective staffing
- Higher return on investment
- Better control – you will have a basis for tracking improvements over time
- Maximum utilization of skill sets
- Improvement resource planning
- Enhanced overall project management
- Improvement project team functioning